The experience described here allows you to visit the ancient village and discover its characteristics and secrets. The guided tour includes a visit to the Norman Castle, also known as "Dei Borgia", located at the highest point of the country and built on the ruins of the Monastery of Castellese Cassiodoro. The itinerary also includes a visit to the many noble palaces of Squillace: Palazzo Baldaya, Palazzo Pepe (now the Town Hall), Palazzo Maida-Chillà, Casa Mungo, Casa Chillà, Casa Megna and the second Palazzo Pepe (with courtyard, ceiling fresco, and well). From a religious point of view, you will visit the Norman Cathedral, the Gothic Church of Santa Maria Della Pietà (12th century), the Monastery of Santa Chiara, the Co-cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta (from 2015 Basilica Minore). Another characteristic aspect of Squillace is the flourishing and ancient tradition of pottery and terracotta, so much so that it is the only town in Calabria to boast the DOC mark on their work, the itinerary, therefore, also includes a visit to some local craft shops in order to make known this art and its production.
What to expect ?
- Visit to Norman Castle, located at the highest point of the country.
- Visit to the many noble palaces of Squillace: Palazzo Baldaya, Palazzo Pepe, Palazzo Maida-Chillà, Casa Mungo, Casa Chillà, Casa Megna and the second Palazzo Pepe.
- Visit to some local craft shops in order to make known this art and its production.
Squillace was known in Greek times as Skilletion and in Roman times as Minervia Augusta Scolacium. Today it is an important tourist center that overlooks the Ionian coast of Catania, it is said that it was founded by Ulysses, but it is undoubtedly its importance and its recognition as a city of Magna Graecia, not to mention the medieval era, the Norman hegemony, the Angevin era, up to the Bourbon.
- A guided tour of the entire route.
- Possibility of carrying out a ceramic workshop in a local workshop, creating small artefacts;
- Possibility to book transfers from various locations;
- Overnight stay in accommodation facilities;
- Catering services at affiliated structures;
- Other services on request.
Where to meet ?
In the central area of the Village.
Throughout the route you will be accompanied by a guide who will tell you and describe the village of Squillace.