Let Aerius Helicopters take you on a journey like no other with tours to White Island, New Zealand’s most active volcano. Surround yourself with stunning views of geothermal activity, vivid colours of yellow sparkling sulphur vents, hear the glugging of mud pools as they bubble away, see the steam as it rises from the acidic crater lake all of which are Mother Nature’s creations, this is one not to be missed.
- An informative safety briefing at the Aerius hanger
- A 30-minute scenic flight to and from White Island
- Spectacular views from above
- Approx 1 hour guided tour of the active volcano crater.
- Fascinating commentary on the geothermal activity of White Island
- Get up close to the acidic crater lake, bubbling mud pools and sulphur-lipped fumaroles
- Walk through the abandoned ruins of the sulphur factory
- Plenty of photo opportunities
- Trip Name: White Island Volcano Flight And Tour
- Trip Code: TL-448-301
- Country: New Zealand
- Type: Escorted Tour
- Activities: Helicopter Tour,Geo-tourism
- Starting Point: Hanger 5, Tauranga Airport, Jean Batten Dr, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga 3116
- Ending Point: Hanger 5, Tauranga Airport, Jean Batten Dr, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga 3116
What to expect ?
Once in a lifetime opportunity to land and walk in the crater of New Zealand's most active volcano
Words cannot express the experience that is walking on the active crater floor of White Island. The unique lunar- landscape is an integral part of the Pacific ring of fire. This active volcano is located 52 kilometers off the Bay of Plenty coastline. White Island (or Whakaari as it was named by the Maori before Europeans arrived) is New Zealand’s most active volcano and was once home to factory workers who mined the Island for sulphur. Ruined remains of this hard life still exist today.
This continuously active volcano, with sulphur-lipped fumaroles, active volcanic vents, steaming Crater Lake, bubbling mud pools, hot streams and desolate mining ruins combined create a surreal experience. You will feel like you are walking on a different planet.
Sign in at Aerius hanger for an informative safety briefing
A 30-minute scenic flight White Island
Approx 1 hour guided tour of the active volcano crater
Return 30 min flight to the Aerius hanger
- Return transfers from your Tauranga accommodation or cruise port (if required) Transfers must be arranged at the time of booking.
- 60-minute flight (return)
- Professional and experienced pilot and tour guide.
- 1 hour fully guided walking tour of White Island's inner crater area
- Safety gear (gas mask and hard hat)
- Permit to land on the island
What to bring;
- Comfortable covered footwear
- Drink bottle
- Camera for amazing photo opportunities